Chemex Brewing Guide
What you need
• 8 cup Chemex
• Chemex Filter
• Coffee Grinder or
• 42 grams of coffee
• Hot water
• Stirring Utensil
- Insert the Chemex Filter into the brewer with the single fold away from the spout and the triple fold lined up along the spout. Rinse your filter with hot water completely. This serves two purposes, it preheats the brewer and gets rid of the paper flavor from the filter.
- Grind 42 grams or about 6 Tablespoons of coffee. Grind it to the consistency of Kosher salt.
- Add the coffee to your brewer.
- Heat your water to a range of 195-205°F.
- Begin by starting your timer and adding water to the ground coffee. You want to use just enough water to cover the top of the grounds. If you are using a scale you want to reach 150g. Finish by stirring with a spoon or other utensil to ensure all of the coffee is saturated.
- At the 45 second mark, start your second pour, making sure the coffee and water mix. Start with a wiggling motion followed by a spiral motion until your reach 450g of water.
- After your coffee has bloomed you want to add more water. Pour the water in an even spiral slowly. Add more water every 10 – 15 seconds.
- At 1:45, finishing filling the brewer until you reach about 700g of water. If you aren't using a scale you will want to remove the filter once the coffee has reached the bubble below the spout.
- Enjoy your coffee :D